C.R.E.W. Begins at Glenwood Landing
Theme: “Reading is Like Breathing In & Writing is Like Breathing Out.”
On October 30, Glenwood Landing began its C.R.E.W. (Curious Readers Enthusiastic Writers) festival with an exciting school-wide assembly celebrating over 50 years of C.R.E.W. This year, the CREW committee proudly stated that the theme was “Reading is Like Breathing In & Writing is Like Breathing Out.”
Students will be encouraged all month to read books about fiction, poetry, non-fiction, biographies, and science fiction, just to name a few and write about them! The enjoyable ceremony was filled with songs and a presentation summarizing all of the educational activities that will take place during the month of November 2023.
Some exciting events that are planned for C.R.E.W. this year include:
• A visit by local Long Island authors – Amy McCoy and Neha Bejaj
• Namaste in November – Mindful Mondays, Nature Walks, Yoga, Breathing & More!
• Buddy Reading & Writing, inter-classes share reading and writing together
• Guest Readers, a special time when parents and/or family members and friends come to Glenwood Landing School to read to the students
• Mystery reader, listen for clues as to who the two mystery readers will be! Try to guess who in our school district it could be!
• St. Jude Read-A-Thon, which includes raising money for children with cancer.
• C.R.E.W. Button Contest, a favorite activity where each student participates in drawing the new C.R.E.W. button. During the opening ceremony, the best student buttons from each grade were selected and the children were called up onstage along with the school-wide button contest winner!
• Spirit Days
During C.R.E.W., students will be challenged to read more books than the year before! Many thanks go out to Principal Finder, Library Media Specialist, Ms. Stephanie Smith, the teachers, staff, the C.R.E.W. committee, and the Glenwood Landing School-Community Association (SCA) who are all essential in the success of this event.
Article and photos by Shelly Newman